Tuesday, June 9, 2009

National Donut Day

National Donut Day is the first Friday in June of every year.  If you did not know about this glorious day you sorely missed out.  Krispy  Kreme was giving away free donuts all day.  I first went into the Krispy Kreme to claim my free donut and I must confess I also went through the drive through to claim another one.  The first one was just so good I really wanted another one.  

A little bit of history about National Donut Day...  It was created in honor of the Salvation Army Women who served donuts to the soldiers during WWI.  The salvation army set up huts close to training camps in France.  The donuts became an instant hit with the soldiers. On one of the busiest days Margaret Sheldon wrote "Today I made 22 pies, 300 doughnuts, 700 cups of coffee."  

2 comments:

ixoj said...

I thought you didn't even like donuts!

Joan said...

Lins, You call Karen a "poodler"???